Today, the average cost of a wedding is between $20,000 and $30,000! Of course this total will vary greatly depending on your personal style and expectations, as well as where you live. If the cost of living is high, then be prepared to pay more for the various services required for a wedding.
There are ways to save for your wedding if you intend on having a year or longer engagement. Begin a savings plan that you can commit to and try to save 10% to 20% of your monthly earnings; however, be realistic and reasonable with that amount. You do not need to live like a pauper during the time leading up to your wedding.
Here are just a few tips to help you save money:
- Skip buying coffee in the morning and have a cup of coffee from home.
- Bring bottled water with you to work instead of buying drinks from the vending machine.
- Reserve going out to dinner for special occasions.
- Keep your car parked; walk, car pool or take public transportation.
- Cut down on book and magazine purchases by visiting the public library.
- Through your bank, arrange for automatic deposit into your savings account each pay period.
- Look for bargains at the grocery store and do more cooking from home.
- Control your utility costs; set your thermostat to 72 degrees in the summer and 65 degrees during the winter.
- If you must take out a loan for your wedding expenses, shop around for the lowest possible interest rate.
This simple discipline will result in substantial savings for your checkbook. If you find yourself tempted to buy those killer shoes or that adorable jacket, ask yourself if it is more important than the wedding of your dreams.