Feed the Masses
Food for a luau is often food that is fit for a king. Think luxury and decadence meet home cooked goodness. Some great choices are as follows.
- If a local barbeque place is available find out if they will cater an entire roast pig. Some places will even add an apple in the pig’s mouth. Not only is the roast pork delicious it will make a great conversation piece.
- Pineapple and other tropical fruits rule the day. Use pineapple chunks for kebobs, serve fruity drinks and serve fruit salads.
- Shrimp cocktails make a fun evening treat at a luau. Be sure to serve them on ice if they are being left out for a bit.
- Egg rolls of all varieties make an easy party food for a luau and can be made in advance and heated for the party.
- Fried plantains are another delicious luau treat. Fry them when under ripe and still green for a starchy potato like texture. Fry them when they start to go black (but not rotten) for a sweeter taste.
- Macadamia nuts are a common food at luaus. Serve them to snack on or try crushing them to use in a breading for chicken fingers that even the adults won’t be able to put down.
- Ham and pineapple pizza can be a fun and easy treat for guests of all ages.
- Banana bread or pineapple upside down cake make great starter choices when it comes to choosing baked goods for a luau themed get together.
Fun and Games
Limbo is a favorite at luaus as is dancing. Really anything that involves dancing and music. Have a hula dancing contest. Design coconut bras. Have a hula hoop spin off. Anything fun and casual will work.
Hula parties for children are best held during the day while nothing beats an adult luau in the evening. No one can resist the appeal of a luau so it is a great choice for nearly any summertime occasion. A luau can be adapted for indoors at any time of the year though guests may shiver a bit in tropical shirts getting in the door! So have a Christmas luau with pineapple ham or a St. Valentine’s luau for singles. Luaus really are perfect for any occasion.
For more luau hosting ideas, be sure to read: