First of all, interview and go listen to potential bands and DJs that you may be interested in hiring. Music can make or break a party and your wedding reception should be the biggest celebration of your life! Whether you choose to hire a DJ or a live band, the music will help to create the atmosphere. Before hiring a DJ or band, ask for, and check their references. Ask past clients about the quality and proficiency of their work as well as the diversity. The music needs to be a variety of styles, from slow songs to upbeat tunes as well as popular music and old standards. Keep in mind that your guest list covers several generations.
Most DJs and bands will have a “play list” available for you to go through and make any changes. If you have a particular song that does not appear on their play list ask if it could be added.
One special song is usually the first dance of the newlywed couple. The top ten songs for this are:
- The Way You Look Tonight
- Just the Way You Are
- I Will Always Love You
- Wonderful Tonight
- The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face
- Love Will Keep Us Together
- Endless Love
- We’ve Only Just Begun
- All I Ask of You
Another special song you may want to select would be the bride’s dance with her father. Suggestions for this number include:
- Daddy’s Little Girl
- Thank Heaven for Little Girls
- What A Wonderful World
Before hiring a DJ or a band interview them.
Here are a few questions that should help you in your decision:
- How often, how long and how many breaks will they take? (5-10 min. per hour is standard)
- Do they provide pre-recorded music during their breaks?
- What will they be wearing?
- Are there any other fees not included in the quote? (travel time, mileage, etc.)
- Will they play overtime? If so, what is the charge?
- What is the cancellation policy?
- Are song requests from guests allowed at no extra fee?
- Ask for their play list.
Before you sign a contract with your reception musicians have everything in writing. This should include how many hours they will play, how many breaks they will take, how they bill for overtime, the required amount for deposit, when the balance is due, amount of any taxes or other charges and whether a refund is allowed in case of cancellation. Once you have the play list selections made and the contract signed you can happily check off one more item on your wedding day list.