1) Get on the calendar! Save-the-Dates have become a near necessity for engaged couples in today’s busybusybusy world. It’s common for families and friends to be spread across the country and even internationally, making advance notice for long-distance travel arrangements a priority. And even for local guests, crazy work schedules and other commitments can present conflicts with the social calendar!
For all these reasons, we recommend brides send their Save-the-Dates 12 months in advance, if possible, and definitely no later than 6 months in advance.
2) Get organized! One advantage of sending Save-the-Dates is that it forces you and your families to get organized enough to create a guest list, which is one of the first critical to-do items for kicking off wedding planning. If you’ve got a â€œdeadlineâ€ in mind for getting your Save-the-Date cards ordered, it makes it a bit easier to encourage your future in-laws to track down the addresses of those long lost cousins on the opposite coast!
3) Get inspired! While the design you choose for your Save-the-Dates doesn’t have to dictate the color scheme and themes for your entire wedding, browsing your stationery options at this early stage is a great way to get ideas and inspiration for when you’ll need to be making these decisions down the road. We find that, while many brides carry the same themes and motifs from their initial Save-the-Dates down through their invitations and wedding day place cards, just as many opt to have a little more fun and whimsy with their Save-the-Dates while choosing more conservative styles for the rest of their wedding invitation suite.
4) Set the stage for the upcoming event! Your Save-the-Dates can reflect the season, style, level of formality (or informality!), venue, and even the time of day. They are a great way to give your guests a teaser of what they have to look forward to!
5) Customize and personalize! Reflect the unique personality of you and your fiancÃ© as a couple. Incorporating a special photo of the two of you is a popular way to personalize Save-the-Dates. Couples may also choose a particular motif that has a special meaning; we’ve designed dozens of graphics for couples based on symbols or items that hold a particular charm and we love incorporating these designs into unique Save-the-Dates!