Being chosen as the maid/matron of honor means that you play a big part in making sure the wedding is a big success. In all honesty, the maid of honor usually plays a bigger part in the wedding planning than the groom. To put it simply, your duty is to take as much stress off the bride as possible and assist with whatever possible. As the maid/matron of honor, you will have a number of responsibilities including the following:
Before the Wedding:
- Assist the bride in finding ceremony and reception locations, reception food, wedding cake, flowers, etc.
- Assist the bride in choosing her wedding invitations, assembling and addressing the envelopes (if a calligrapher is not hired).
- Assist in assembling favors.
- Go with the bride as she shops for her wedding dress and bridesmaid dresses. Your feedback will help the bride make one of the most important decisions of her wedding. It will also be your responsibility to keep track of dress fittings, and the bridesmaids’ appointments and obligations.
- Plan and host the bridal shower and bachelorette party.
- Attend all pre-wedding parties. You also need to record all the gifts received at the various wedding parties, so the bride knows who gave her what when it comes time to write the thank you notes.
- Attend and help out at the rehearsal dinner.
The Wedding Day:
- Arrive early at the ceremony site to help everyone get ready.
- Hold the bride’s bouquet during the ceremony.
- Make sure the bride’s dress is free of twists and folds and her train is straight before she walks down the aisle and again once she is standing in position for the ceremony.
- Adjust her hair and straighten her veil.
- Hold the groom’s ring until the designated time in the ceremony.
- Witnessing and signing the marriage certificate.
- Stand in the receiving line.
- Make a toast and/or speech at the reception.
- If someone else has not been designated this job, take responsibility for any gifts brought to the reception.
- Take care of the bride’s dress after she has changed. This can entail taking it to the cleaners, having it professionally stored or returned to the rental shop.
Your most important job will be to provide moral support and be a good listener. Keep in mind that planning a wedding is very stressful and you want to keep the bride calm and in a positive mood. It is a job to be taken seriously and will require a lot of work on your part.