The Wedding Day:
- Make sure the groom gets dressed and to the church on time. If there’s anything the groom needs, it is the best man’s job to get it for him.
- Make sure the groom has the marriage license with him.
- Make sure the ushers arrive on time and review their duties with them.
- Make sure all ushers receive their boutonnieres.
- Hold the bride’s ring until the designated time in the ceremony.
- Witnessing and signing the marriage certificate.
- Escorting the maid/matron of honor in the wedding ceremony recession
- Paying the minister, organist, etc.
- Make sure the ushers seat the guests properly at the reception
- Give the first toast
- Socialize with the guests and making introductions (if necessary).
- Decorate the bride and groom’s going away vehicle.
- If needed, drive the bride and groom to a hotel or the airport
- Help maid/matron of honor bring gifts to the bride and groom’s home.
- Make sure all rented formalwear (including the groom’s tux) is returned.
Your most important job will be to provide moral support and be a good listener. Keep in mind that planning a wedding is very stressful and you want to keep the groom calm and in a positive mood. It is a job to be taken seriously and will require a lot of work on your part.
Read: Duties Before the Wedding