As the best man, you are probably the groom’s brother or best friend. You are the guy that has to lend a friendly ear to your buddy when the wedding planning process is stressing him out. Choosing the best man is an important decision for the groom, and if you are chosen to fill this role, you should take time to think about what the job consists of before accepting. You will have several important responsibilities and will incur some expenses. It can cost between $500 – $1000 or more to be the best man. So what do you have to do to be a good best man? Here are the duties you will be expected to perform as best man:
Before the Wedding:
- Assist the groom in any wedding planning.
- Along with the groomsmen, plan and pay for the bachelor party.
- Rent a tux and go for fittings. Arrange formalwear fittings for the groomsmen.
- Help the groom pack for his honeymoon. Make sure he has all necessary travel documents (passports, visas, etc)
- Arrange for transportation for you and the groom to the ceremony and reception.
- Arrange for the going away vehicle (car, limo, carriage, etc.) for the bride and groom after the reception (if necessary). You will also be in charge of decorating the vehicle.
- Prepare a toast and/or speech for the reception.
- Make sure groom has all necessary documents for the marriage ceremony.
- Attend the wedding rehearsal and dinner.
Read: Duties on the Wedding Day